DMS Concert Review – by Kenny
- What is your name?
- What is your role in the choir/What section do you sing in?
Secretary/ administrator and I sing in the alto section
- How long have you been a member?
- What’s your favourite song?
Mary Did You Know? – our version of the Pentatonix arrangement. When I first heard the original, I had it on loop the entire day. I love most when we sing this song because it’s a real choral piece with less emphasis on any one solo voice.
- What has been your most memorable experience with the choir to date?
We did our first feature concert at a church in Hampstead Hill in July 2012 and I got to the chance to sing my first ever solo on the song ‘For Every Mountain’. I was at the lowest point in my life and the lyrics speak about the exact opposite of where I felt I was. I knew I wasn’t the favourite to sing the lead, I knew I wasn’t the best singer, rehearsals leading up were so tentative and at times I wanted to quit. But there were people in the choir who knew my struggles and my situation and they prayed for me. They had faith in me and that my situation didn’t have to define my singing. When I went forward, I sang and I wasn’t the best, but I didn’t quit. That song now represents for me “the road less travelled”, for me it’s about challenging yourself and not giving up. It’s about recognising you still want to be ‘your’ best even if that isn’t ‘the’ best. I felt really supported at the time thanks to THGC and it was the first time the choir felt like a family.
- What do you enjoy most about being part of THGC?
I love sectionals with the altos. These are rehearsals exclusively with members of the alto sections. They’re really relaxed, we eat great food, I’m amonst great company and we get to be creative and learn in ways that I learn best. Everyone has an opportunity to sing and if we put people in the spotlight it’s to make sure they know their stuff so that when we join with the entire choir, we don’t have any weak links in our section.
- If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you take, and why?
1. An endless supply of pen and paper. I love to write and draw and have entertained myself for hours all thanks to pen and paper.
2. My hooded dressing gown. It’s so soft and warm and since I’m always cold, it’s a must on the desert island.
3. A solar rechargeable 4G accessing smart phone. I’d still need to call and check in on my loved ones and browse the internet.
- Complete this sentence: I’m happiest when….
I’m warm, in good health, have food in my belly and money in my bank.